2012-2013: A Year in Review
As each school year ends, it is the perfect time to reflect on all the many accomplishments that North Penn School District’s staff and students accomplished. Here is a review of our proudest memories!
- North Wales Elementary School received a bronze medal from the US Department of Agricultural as part of the Healthier US School Challenge. 11North Penn High School students were named in the National Merit Scholarship. Later in the year, it was announced that two students would go on to receive the scholarship.
- NPHS Japanese teacher Noriko Coyle received the Teacher of the Year Award from the American Association of Teachers of Japanese (AATJ) in the K-12 category.
- Gerson “Gus” Rosenberg, Ph.D (Class of ’62) was named into the North Penn Athletic Alumni Association’s Lifetime Achievement Hall of Fame. Rosenberg is the C. McCollister Evarts, MD Professor of Surgery and Bioengineering; Chief of the Division of Artificial Organs, and Co-Director for the Biomedical Engineering Institute at the Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine at the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. He has over 35 years of experience in the design, development and application of various circulatory support and heart replacement devices.
- Lijia Xie (Class of ’13) was named a semifinalist of the 72nd annual Science Talent Search, sponsored by the Intel Corporation and the Society for Science & the Public, the nation’s oldest and most prestigious pre-college science competition. He presented his project on “Abberant Methylation of the RASSF1A Gene as a Biomarker for the Detection of Hepatocellular Carcinoma.”
- The North Penn Alumni Association released the 2013 Alumni Directory and held its first planning committee meeting.
- North Penn School District was named the ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- North Penn High School was named a top nation’s top high school by national publications including, the Washington Post, US News and World Report and Newsweek.
- The NPSD Educational Foundation honored 5 individuals and groups at its Cinco de Mayo Silent Auction and Fiesta. Honorees included Dan Reavy as Supporter and Friend, Jim Finnemeyer(Class of ’64) as Outstanding Alumnus Award, Stephen Frederick with the Excellence in Education Award, the North Penn Technology & Engineering Department with the Exemplary Educators Award and Carol Fink with the Heart of the Foundation award.
- The North Penn Alumni Association hosted its first Knight Out at Bacco Restaurant for NPSD staff members who graduated from the high school.
- Over 990 members from the Class of 2013 joined the NP Alumni Association by graduating on Wednesday, June 19.